Monday, March 3, 2008

garden variety chef


When I was growing up, My parents had a garden and encouraged us to participate with them in growing their own food. My father grew up on a farm and he still hasn't quite gotten out of the habit despite the face that he left the farm more than 40 years ago. Still, I found it quite a blessing to have the privilege to work in that garden so long ago. I remember harvesting green beans, cherry tomatoes, potatoes (I am from Idaho), corn, and even some squash. I loved the food that we grew. It just seemed so much better knowing that I helped weed the garden and even help in the watering of the food. The food just seemed so much better. I hope to also have grow my own garden some day.

6 comments:

Taylor_tots said...

That sounds pretty cool, and I am sure it was a good experience for you to learn. I have never been the outdoorsy type, but if I was i would have a garden one day too.

Courtney said...

My dad went on this kick where he fenced out a little portion of our 1/2 acre backyard and grew some tomatos and watermelons and such. It was pretty fun as a kid to go outside and water it with the hose when Dad was too busy. The tomatos were way good!

Fishball said...

Gardens rock! We used to have one growing up, and we would grow sunflowers... it was way cool. I plan on growing gardens when I get m own place.

Way to go Idaho!!!

Keith McKay said...

Creepy General Authority Quote Time:
"The time will come when we will live on what we produce."
- Pres. Young

ie - one day we'll ALL need pretty AWESOME gardens.

gibonator said...

My family has always had a garden. My mom really likes growing beautiful flowers and plants and my dad like his vegetable garden along with fruit trees. I never really got into the whole garden thing but I think I might have one when I'm married.

Alina said...

My dad made us do the same thing. He always plants a garden every year and I think he plants more than he realizes he does because it always ends up being huge! And then all of us kids have to get out there and weed it.... ugghh.