Thursday, January 31, 2008

The impession that I get


My mother always had one dish that was always impressive because it was the favorite dish of so many people. Her lasagna was amazing and one to be reckoned with. She has even given it to apostles and they were very complimentary. I guess I am a little biased because I was grew up on it. I believe it is because she makes everything from scratch. The sauce is just thick enough to be eaten on a fork with no liquid drained off and she will cook it for nigh on 7 hours. The cheese is a little unique with cottage, mozzarella, and Parmagan cheeses that melt oh so nicely. I remember one of my mother's old friends coming over to meet and greet our family and it was a nice evening but the highlight was the food. I could tell that she wanted to make a good impression and I have never heard a person more complimentary. Although the battle wasn't over and I believe it must have been Itallian food battle because we were invited over there for a chicken parmageana. It was simply splendid but I don't think it was in the league of my mothers food. There are just a few foods on the planet that can feed a large appetite and be able to sooth the most food crazed critic but I believe my mothers satisfy them all. GO MOMS!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

My mom makes a mean lasagna too! It's our tradition to have it for christmas dinner with my mom's wonderful and also from scratch Italian sauce. I have to admit the cottage cheese aspect of your moms dish sounds a little frightening, but I'd be willing to try it. Chicken Parm could never hope to compete with lasagna, I never really understood the concept of sauce and chicken...it's like peanut butter and ketchup--they just don't go together well.

Anonymous said...

Italian food can be magical! I have a eggplant Parmesan recipe that is guaranteed to put a woman into labor. Good for a someone who is 2 weeks past due, bad for a woman who isn't pregnant. I would love to try your mother's recipe. Or at least have a copy.

Alex said...

I think we are all biased to our mother's cooking. I would definetley say my mother is a bomb chef.

jsharendt said...

I would love to try your moms lasagna sometime. My mom never really cooked and the only lasagna we had was made by a good family friend named marie calanders. Are apostles good food critics? Do they ever tell someone to their face that they dont like their food?

head chef said...

I love lasagna! I agree that it's a great impression food. One time I asked a sister missionary if their was anything that she or her companion couldn't eat. She replied "Lasagna." With surprise I asked her "why?" She explained that during her first year in Utha they had been served lasagna for almost every meal and couldn't face it any more. When I think about eating that much lasagna I'm a little jealous. I think that I would enjoy it.

Brittany Perez said...

Lasagna is sooo good. I don't usually get huge helpings of anything because my stomach is the size of a quarter but I always pile on the lasagna.